Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Post Baby Body

I want to address this post to all the pregnant women and mommies out there.  I remember reading the below OpEd last summer, after seeing Kate Middleton all aglow -- hair blown out, fully made up in a designer dress and her signature wedge heels -- while introducing the world to Prince George, a mere day after giving birth.  This was before I was pregnant with Emily, yet even to me it seemed unrealistic that someone would, or should, look so "put together" after going through labor and delivery.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joy-gabriel/kate-middleton-and-the-mom-in-the-mirror_b_3672553.html

To my surprise, apparently more people were stunned that she still had a pregnant-looking belly one day postpartum than at the fact that she was made up to look like she was attending a charity luncheon instead of leaving the hospital.  I get that she's a celebrity, but it still surprised me that she didn't take a day off from looking perfectly made up.  I guess I shouldn't be so naive.

Do you want to know what I looked like leaving the hospital?  I had showered, but hadn't washed my hair, which was pulled back into a frizzy ponytail.  I was wearing loose-fitting cropped maternity yoga pants with a ruched t-shirt, under a zipper hoodie.  No make-up whatsoever and huge bags under my eyes from not sleeping for a couple days.  Shep took a photo of me before we left the hospital, which shows me sitting in a wheelchair with an inflatable donut seat between my knees, holding my sweet little baby girl asleep in my arms.  And I had a huge smile on my face.

Here's another great read that I wanted to share:  http://www.momof4istired.com/2013/11/this-blog-is-going-to-embarrass-my.html

Source
Our society is focused way too much on physical appearances, which can make it hard for anyone who feels less than their "best" self, whether it be due to weight, hair color, height, illness, a life-changing event like giving birth, etc.  Giving birth is exactly as the phrase says -- you are bringing another life into this world!  Your body formed, grew, nourished, and then produced another entire human being.  It's pretty remarkable.  It doesn't matter what size your jeans are, that you have some extra weight or stretch marks on you, or some newfound wrinkles or eye bags.  What matters is that you gave life.  Your amazing body did that!

The authors of the above-linked posts did a beautiful job of explaining why mothers should look different than they did before they had their babies, and each story brought tears to my eyes when I first read it.  I hope you'll enjoy reading these viewpoints as well; and for those of you struggling with any self-image issues, I hope these women help you feel better about your perfectly wonderful self!  Your babies love you just the way you are.

So smile your best smile, and don't think twice about what you look like before you get in that photo {click to follow link} with the littlest love(s) of your life!

xo

2 comments:

  1. I really needed this today. I'm 6 most post-partum and I've been dealing with a lot of body issues. I gained 60 pounds during the pregnancy because after two miscarriages, I was terrified of hurting our baby. 6 months later and I still have a lot left. I love seeing things like the "mom is in the picture". I have friends that are seeing 2 years later that they don't have any pictures with their babies. We have a lot...not as many as we should, but we're working on that. Yes, I'm not happy with how my body is right now, but I'm so happy that after all of our struggles we have our sweet girl. I'll take this new body any day to be able to see how excited my daughter gets when I walk in a room. She loves me unconditionally, and as such, I'm trying to love myself the same in return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to comment! I am so sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your comment, but it really meant so much to hear from you. I am so terribly sorry to hear that you had 2 miscarriages. I completely understand how you felt about hurting your baby when you were pregnant -- I was a maniac about tracking my water and protein intake. I thought for some reason if I ate enough protein and drank enough water, that would ensure I'd have a healthy baby.

      I am so glad to hear that you have been trying hard to get enough photos with your little one. No, we never have as many photos as we should or would like, or as many as we have memories in our heads and hearts. But, it's important to be able to look back and re-live these days. These babies grow so darn fast!!! It sounds like you have a very great attitude and outlook about your body, which I'm happy to hear. You're totally right -- your little girl loves YOU exactly as you are!!! So keep getting in those photos! I'd love to see one if you want to share it! xoxo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...