Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April 24th

Today is the start of week 5!


Your embryo is now measurable -- though at week five, that means a teeny .13 inches -- and she's gearing up for much more growth. In fact, in the next week, she'll almost double in size.  She doesn't look like much more than a tadpole right now, but she's already starting to form major organs (heart, stomach, liver, kidneys) and systems (digestive, circulatory, nervous). Grow baby, grow!

Pregnancy hormones kick in (if they haven't already).
During week five, those same hormones your pregnancy test picked up are likely starting to rear their ugly heads, causing some (not so fun) early pregnancy symptoms. The most common? Sore breasts, nausea and fatigue. Some nasties you may not have expected:

Frequent urination. It's something you expected later in pregnancy, right? Wrong. The urge to get up and go to the bathroom can be blamed on those pesky hormones.

Bloating. No, that's not a baby bump (at least not yet). That's bloating! The hormones are relaxing smooth muscle tissue in your gastrointestinal tract, which makes your gut work slower and translates into gas for you (sorry).

Heightened sense of smell. Every little whiff of perfume or food making you nauseous? That's par for the course too.

{Above images and facts courtesy of The Bump}

***

I woke up super tired today... probably because I was tossing and turning all night with nightmares.   I caught myself at lunch reaching for tomatoes with feta cheese...bad, feta!  Phew.  I worked late and then came home ready to take my Week 5 time lapse photo.  Unfortunately, although I know I’m not showing yet, I look like a blob in the photo.   I guess that’s because of all the bloating!   At least I can tell myself I’m not a porker.... yet!

Even though I ate a pretty filling and healthy dinner @ 8pm, my tummy is now loudly growling at 10:47pm!!

I took my first baby bump watch photo today, and Hubby and I devised a list of ongoing questions to answer along with each pic!  Here goes...

(1) How far along are you? 5 weeks
(2) How much weight have you gained to date? 2 pounds
(3) Visible bump? Maternity clothes? No way, Jose!
(4) Any cravings? Not yet!
(5) What symptoms have you had? Nosebleeds, sore breasts, bloating, VERY tired, excessive peeing. Vivid dreams.
(6) Who did you tell? Hubby, my primary care physician (when I went in for a check-up) and my chiropractor.
(7) What names are you considering? Too many to list!
(8) What “getting ready for baby” task did you do? Signed up for some websites & newsletters, bought a couple books, started a pregnancy calendar to-do-list, took some photos, started this journal. 
 (9) What are you most looking forward to? My first OB appointment when I hopefully confirm everything looks good and maybe even hear the heartbeat!
(10) What do you miss? Wine, not having to pee every hour, not having to pay such close attention to what I eat.
(11) Any funny/memorable comments or experiences? At my chiropractic appointment, I had to tell the Dr. I’m pregnant so that he wouldn’t use the electrode stimulator on me. He congratulated me and then said jokingly that I would “get fat” like the woman in the waiting room, who was 8+ months pregnant (and not fat at all). He was joking because when she walked in the office, he turned to me and said as a joke “she’s really fat!” because it was obvious that she was very pregnant.
(12) Any movement? Only gas so far!  ;)
(13) Belly button in or out? Stretch marks? In. Not yet, thank goodness!
(14) Overall mood/condition? Excited/nervous/very tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...