Thursday, July 25, 2013

Normal!

We finally got the much anticipated call from our Genetic Counselor, and we're normal!  {Chromosomally speaking anyway.}  Our karyotype results show that my husband and I each have 46 normal chromosomes, with no translocations.  That's good news.

It means the chromosomal abnormalities that caused our miscarriage were not inherited; they were "de novo" or new, likely due to errors during cell division.

It doesn't mean that they won't occur again; it's certainly not impossible, though from the research I've done so far, it seems improbable that we'll experience a chromosomal abnormality twice in a row.  As we've come to realize, there are no guarantees -- but I'll happily accept this prognosis.

This has been the longest 13 days of my life.  Who am I kidding... it's been the longest 53 days of my life.  Although hearing these results don't change or lessen in any way the loss of our first pregnancy, confirming that the miscarriage was not due to any inherited abnormalities does, finally, give me some sense of hope back.

We still have a few unanswered questions, I plan on doing some more research online, and we'll likely place a follow-up call to the Genetic Counselor to obtain more information; but for now I'm going to enjoy this small bit of relief.

2 comments:

  1. I just read through your entire blog and must say that you take all my thoughts and put them in this blog. We went through our first miscarriage in Feb and it was the toughest thing ever. Now, we're 4 months into trying. I just started a blog today and stumbled upon yours from babycenter. I know it's a tough journey, but I hope you get your beautiful miracle in the end...hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jofriday, I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. I hope that very soon you too get your miracle baby! I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you. Thanks so much for reading and for leaving a comment -- chatting with other women who are going through the same thing has really helped me a lot during this experience. I hope you stop by again soon! I added your blog to my reading list, so I'll be cheering you on from cyberspace!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...